You guys… Jack is TEN MONTHS OLD. All the sudden it feels like my baby is not so much a baby anymore! And looking back on photos of when he was so teeny tiny makes my heart ache! Everything they tell you about time passing by in the blink of an eye as a parent? Could not be more true. One minute you’re fully consumed by those early newborn days. Sweet and so special, but also challenging and exhausting. And the next thing you know, you are planning your baby’s first birthday party! 😭 And wishing you could go back in time for just a moment to soak up some of those precious newborn cuddles. Being a mama truly is the best reminder to enjoy every moment and every stage along the way… because with each stage comes hardships and unpredictability, but also a joy like you have never experienced. And before you know it, you’ll be onto the next.
Anyways, emotional rant aside 🙈… I’ve been meaning to share this for a while… a little list of our new baby essentials/faves/must-haves! All the things that helped get us through those early newborn days. As a new parent, you’ll take any help you can get… and anything to make the newborn stage easier and more enjoyable is a good thing.
- Rock & Play: When researching and asking friends for their newborn faves, this was probably the number one recommended item. It seems to be every mom’s favorite! And I can’t even begin to tell you how much we used ours. Jack ended up sleeping in this at night right next to our bed for the first few months. And it was just a great safe place to put him throughout the day and easy enough to move around the house. I would even rest him here and put it in that bathroom while I showered! Life-saver!!! Sidenote: I was lucky enough to be gifted this beautiful Jonathan Adler version by my wonderful aunt who knows me all too well!! But there are less expensive ones like this as well.
- Solly Baby Wrap: I highly recommend getting a wrap for the newborn stage. It’s great for those fussy evenings when you just can’t get baby to settle, or when you want to get some things done around the house. And also for outings and adventures in those early days! Baby feels close to you, cozy, and secure. Jack would instantly fall asleep in this wrap. (Tip: video tutorials are your friend as they can be hard to figure out in the beginning!)
- ErgoBaby Carrier: Another all-time FAVE that will last you well beyond the newborn stage! (Very adjustable, and various carry positions). I still use this carrier to this day and Jack loves it. I prefer this carrier over the wrap when I’m out and about as it feels a little more sturdy, and in the fall/winter as it’s thicker and provides more protection from the cold weather. I wear Jack in this carrier to all of Andy’s games! Babywearing for the win!! (PS this particular one comes with an infant insert that is nice for the early days!)
- Angelcare Infant Bath: I still remember Jack’s first bath and how nervous I was because he was so tiny! This bath was a a gamechanger and put my mama heart at ease.
- Ubbi Diaper Pail: Who knew I could love a diaper pail so much?! Blocks the odor so well!
- Muslin Swaddles: You can never have enough swaddles! They can be used as blankets, burp cloths, car seat covers, nursing covers, etc. Plus they come in such cute patterns!! I’m a sucker for a cute swaddle. Aden + Anais and Little Unicorn are a few of my favorite brands for swaddles.
- Burp cloths: Again, you can never have too many. Especially in the first few months when you’re feeding ’round the clock. I liked having both this kind and these standard standard ones as well.
- Zip pajamas: Trust me, you do not want to be buttoning pajamas in the middle of the night. Favorite brands are Carters, Burt’s Bees Baby, Baby Gap, and Kickee Pants (a splurge, but the softest material ever!).
- FridaBaby Nail Clippers: Clipping Jack’s nails made me nervous at first, but these make it so easy!
- Stroller + Carseat: Finding a good stroller and carseat that you love is key! This was actually Andy’s favorite thing to pick out. We ended up going with the Nuna Mixx stroller and Pipa car seat. We liked the size of the stroller as it seemed a lot smaller/less bulky than most. And the Pipa gets great safety reviews!
- Changing Pad Liners: So much easier than having to wash the changing pad cover constantly!
- DockATot: Not a necessary item, but definitely nice to have! Great for naps around the house.
- Baby Bjorn Bouncer: Again, not necessary but it’s so nice to have different safe places to put baby throughout the day! We used this one in the kitchen when we were cooking dinner and Jack was always so content hanging out in here and bouncing.
- Fawn Design Diaper Bag: I was so excited about this diaper bag because it’s actually so cute! Quite big and lots of different pockets. Love that it can be a backpack, which is how I usually use it. Best part is, Andy doesn’t even mind carrying it! 😉 I have the original size but have been eyeing the mini! 😉
- Boon Lawn Drying Rack: Great for bottles, pacifiers, nipple shields… everything! Never knew I could love a drying rack so much… #momlife HA.